• California Dealership Auto Auctions

    The ultimate dealership resource for automotive auctions throughout California. Independent dealerships can bookmark this location or visit to locate California auto auctions. [Read More...]

    California auto auctions
  • DMV clears path for immigrants

    People here illegally, particularly Mexican nationals, would have an easier time acquiring a California driver’s license under new regulations proposed Friday by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. [Read More...]

    DMV clears path for immigrants
  • California Vehicle News Supports

    IADAC - California Independent Automobile Dealers Association, California IADA, IADAC, Online Automotive Dealer News and Education, Dealership Legislative News [Read More...]

    IADAC Independent Automobile Dealers Association of California
  • Quik DMV registration services...

    is making California's nightmare's of Dealership DMV a breeze. It has been less stress for my customers and staff. They pick up, and drop off the DMV like clockwork. They have even fixed a few of our problem cars. [Read More...]

    California DMV Registration Services
  • NIADA

    Proud Supporter of the National Independent Automobile Dealers Association - The National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NIADA), founded in 1946 has represented quality independent automobile dealers for over 65 years. NIADA is here to assist it's members in becoming more successful within the used motor vehicle industry. [Learn More...]

    Niada


California DMV registration

Did you ever buy a vintage car part without even knowing what car it came from?

Clock


Photos by author.


If you answered “yes” to this question then you’ve got it bad, my friend. And as you may have guessed, I wouldn’t have asked had I not done it myself—more times than I care to admit.


Some vintage parts are so imaginatively designed that I like to have them just for display, which is good because they don’t have to work. Even if they are primarily used as paperweights on my desk (remember when we actually used paper?) or are placed on a shelf, I still get to look at them on a daily basis and appreciate their craftsmanship. I call them UFOCPs: Unidentified Fascinating Old Car Parts.


My favorites include factory gauges. As some of you know from reading my past articles in HMN I have an affinity for vacuum/economy gauges, regardless of the year or model in which they were factory installed. Tachs and clocks are also fun to have and stare at, but the former have grown especially expensive.


In the past, I collected factory Hurst His/Hers shifters from GTOs, 4-4-2s and Hurst Olds when I could find them cheap. I even have one from a late 1970s application that I have yet to Identify. Unfortunately, the collector prices asked for these shifters nowadays has halted further exploration for them as well.


I do, however, still find some gauges, clocks and compasses from time to time. They all have two things in common, they are interesting enough to be display items, and they are cheap. I may be sick but I’m not stupid. My family, home and project car bills require enough financial attention as it is, so I can’t justify paying top dollar for parts to simply ogle, so I don’t.


Clock


To that end, my latest find came just this past weekend at a “fleatique” about 40 minutes from home. My kids and I walked in and this clock was literally the first item that I locked eyes on in a room that held about 50 vendors and thousands of items. That’s never happened before. I’ve never found a UFOCP that quickly at a sale, which was primarily for random antiques, vintage household items and stuff that was just plain old and musty.


This clock appears to have been removed from the dash of a vintage vehicle and was marked $6—I got it for $5. How could any car guy, regardless of era or marque preference pass up a $5 dash clock from a 1930-40-something vehicle? I certainly couldn’t. I photographed it for this blog in as-purchased condition—I still have to clean it up a bit.


Admittedly, 1960s and 1970s cars are more in my wheelhouse, so I don’t know what year or make vehicle this clock came from. It’s stamped “Geo. W. Borg Corp. Chicago USA” on the back. If any of you recognize it and know of its original application, please respond to this blog. Even if I don’t find out, however, it’s okay, as I won’t like it any more or any less based on its pedigree.


Referring back to the question that initiated this blog, please share your stories of low-buck UFOCPs you’ve purchased over the years simply because you thought that they were intriguing.






from Hemmings Daily - News for the collector car enthusiast http://ift.tt/1u2ysIV

Sourced by CA DMV registration services online. Renew your registration online in only ten minutes. No DMV, no lines, no hassles, and no appointments needed. Visit Quik, Click, pay, and print your registration from home.
SHARE

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Automotive Industry News Ticker

« »