• California Dealership Auto Auctions

    The ultimate dealership resource for automotive auctions throughout California. Independent dealerships can bookmark this location or visit to locate California auto auctions. [Read More...]

    California auto auctions
  • DMV clears path for immigrants

    People here illegally, particularly Mexican nationals, would have an easier time acquiring a California driver’s license under new regulations proposed Friday by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. [Read More...]

    DMV clears path for immigrants
  • California Vehicle News Supports

    IADAC - California Independent Automobile Dealers Association, California IADA, IADAC, Online Automotive Dealer News and Education, Dealership Legislative News [Read More...]

    IADAC Independent Automobile Dealers Association of California
  • Quik DMV registration services...

    is making California's nightmare's of Dealership DMV a breeze. It has been less stress for my customers and staff. They pick up, and drop off the DMV like clockwork. They have even fixed a few of our problem cars. [Read More...]

    California DMV Registration Services
  • NIADA

    Proud Supporter of the National Independent Automobile Dealers Association - The National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NIADA), founded in 1946 has represented quality independent automobile dealers for over 65 years. NIADA is here to assist it's members in becoming more successful within the used motor vehicle industry. [Learn More...]

    Niada


California DMV registration

What’s that smell?



Paint Can


Photo by author.


Over the last 29 years, it’s happened more times than I can count. The second I spray degreaser, carburetor cleaner, primer, paint or anything else that has any real or perceived odor, my wife Linda is at the garage door saying, “What’s that chemical smell?” I swear it’s gotten to the point where she arrives before I pop off the cap, like she already read my mind and knows my intentions.


To her credit, when she makes the comment, I assure her I have proper ventilation and that it will dissipate soon and she is satisfied. These meetings were more infrequent when we lived in a house with no garage and I was doing everything outside, well away from the front door. But now the garage is part of the house (don’t mistake this for complaining, as working in an attached garage after nearly 20 years of working outside on the ground is a dream come true), so those fragrant fumes from the aerosol cans reach the wife’s nose in record time. As a result, I have to be even more careful than before.


After years of not grasping the fact that they bothered her so much and me so little, I finally came to the realization that it’s because I like all of those smells. No, not because I want to get high or end up unconscious under my car or even because they actually smell good. Rather, I like them because they are literally the perfume of progress. If I’m spraying carb or brake cleaner, chances are the part being sprayed will be clean afterward. If I’m spraying paint, it means a part that was probably chipped and/or rusty a few days before will soon look new again, and at least one piece of a vintage car I own will be restored.


These odors are not random chemical emissions, they are the aromas of accomplishment. Even the smell of gasoline makes me think, “Hey, something is finally ready to run.” I will admit, however, that I have never liked the stench of aged differential gear oil.


While we are on the subject, how about the smell of musty old car magazines? I love it. It instantly says two things to me—great reading is on the way and they are probably really cheap! Then there is the wondrous whiff you can get from 1960s-70s GM interiors after the car has sat a while. When I was 17 and looking for cars I nicknamed it “GM funk,” as everything in my price range had it—the carefully crafted concoction of Pontiac Morrokide, wet carpet and mildew. But when I opened that door and that scent smacked me in the nose, I knew I was looking at a car that was cool and one I could afford.


To anyone else, these smells are pungent and to be avoided. To car guys (or maybe just me), however, they trigger optimism. I’m hoping I’m not the only one who feels this way. If you’ve ever wondered why the aromas wafting from your garage always bothered your neighbors way more than you, tell us your thoughts.


Don’t let the euphoria of getting the job done cloud your judgment when it comes to safety, however. Just because it smells good to you is no excuse to not have proper ventilation per the product’s instructions, or to not to wear the safety gear it requires. Just because it smells good to you does not mean your family should breathe those fumes, and it doesn’t even mean you should, either. But I’m sure most of us already know this.




from Hemmings Daily - News for the collector car enthusiast http://ift.tt/1qGhjae

CA Vehicle registration service




Sourced by CA DMV registration services online. Renew your registration online in only ten minutes. No DMV, no lines, no hassles, and no appointments needed. Visit Quik, Click, pay, and print your registration from home.
SHARE

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Automotive Industry News Ticker

« »